Monday, May 23, 2011

A Sabbath Day Witness


Reading Elder Perry’s talk in the April 2011 General Conference has inspired me to record a few thoughts of my own regarding the Sabbath Day. I am grateful to parents who taught me as a youth so that as an adult I could reap the benefits of a deep-rooted ritual. Today my heart rejoices at the opportunity for regeneration I get each Sabbath. It’s my regularly scheduled break from world so that I may purge my heart of the unnecessary worldly cares.

Elder Perry says: As we consider the pattern of the Sabbath and the sacrament in our own lives, there appear to be three things the Lord requires of us:
first, to keep ourselves unspotted from the world;

I love being intentional about everything I do on Sunday. I love dressing up for church and all day dressing at least a little better than I do during the week. I know the Lord loves me even if I don’t, but I love drawing closer to Him through what I wear. I love avoiding certain programs, music, and activities so that I may remain as unspotted, as possible, from the world on the Sabbath. I love a day to set aside the cares and interests of the world so that I may focus on the cares and interests of another.
 
second, to go to the house of prayer and offer up our sacraments;

On Sunday I go to church, and I cleanse my heart and soul by offering up my sacraments unto the Lord. The sacred music, the company of Saints, the talks & classes, and opportunities to serve all help to purify and reconnect my heart with His. Even juggling 6 kids into reverence during a 70 min long meeting serves to deepen my humility and bring my heart closer to His.

and third, to rest from our labors.

I love having a day where I don’t go to the store. Yes, sometimes the ox is in the proverbial mire, and in which case I take care of needs as they arise. But I love doing what I can so that others can rest from their labors as well. And mostly I love having a day where I keep things as simple as possible so that the Lord can really be the focus of my day as much as possible.

And, of course, Elder Perry says it so well:
Let us remember the blessings and opportunities that are ours as we attend sacrament meeting each week in our wards and branches. Let us prepare and conduct ourselves on the Sabbath in a manner that will call down the blessings promised us upon ourselves and our families. I bear my special witness that the greatest joy we receive in this life is in following the Savior. May we keep His commandments by keeping His sacred day holy is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

AMEN

No comments: